An introduction to elections
Argyll and Bute Council administers all local and national elections in the area. There are three standard types of elections:
- Local (Council)
- Scottish Parliamentary (Constituency and List)
- Parliamentary (Westminster)
In addition to these, By-elections will be held if a Councillor, MP or MSP dies or resigns. Special Elections such as referendums are also held occasionally. Community Council Elections are run every four years with By-elections being held every 2 years.
Upcoming Elections and Ballots
12 December 2019
24 October 2019
|6 May 2021|
Scottish Parliament Election
|5 May 2022|
Scottish Local Government Elections
To take part in elections and referenda, you must be registered to vote.
The deadline for registering to vote in the UK General Election on 12th December was 11.59pm on 26th November 2019
You can find out more information about registering to vote, or check if you are already registered (this is sometimes called the electoral roll) by calling the Electoral Registration Office on 0800 980 0470.
How to vote
In person - Polling stations are open from 7am until 10pm on polling day. As long as you are registered to vote, you will receive a poll card which will tell you where your polling station is.
Voting by post - Anyone can apply to vote by post, you do not need a special reason. You must be registered to vote, and need to fill in an application form (you can download one here - Postal vote application form - Argyll and Bute).
Proxy vote - In some cases it may be possible for you to apply for a proxy vote. This is when you appoint someone you trust to vote on your behalf. For more information about this, please contact the Electoral Registration Office on the number above, or follow this link to find out more - Find out more about proxy voting
More information: The Electoral Commission - an independent body which oversees elections - has useful information for voters, candidates / agents, campaigners and electoral administrators available on the website.
|23rd May 2019|
4th October 2018
28th June 2018
|26th April 2018|
|1st March 2018|
5 October 2017
8 June 2017
4 May 2017
5 May 2016
- Argyll and Bute Council Elections
- Scottish Parliament Elections
- UK Parliamentary Elections
- European Parliamentary Elections
- Community Council Election and By-Election results
- Business Improvement Districts (BIDs)
- Crofting Commission Elections
- Scottish Independence Referendum
- Referendum on the European Union
- Oban North and Lorn By-election - 2nd June 2016
- Oban North and Lorn By-election - 18th February 2016
- Oban South and the Isles By-Election
- Oban North By-Election - 17th July 2014
- Oban and North By-Election - 23rd October 2014
- South Kintyre By-Election - 11th December 2014
If you have any queries please contact the Election Team who will be happy to help:
Argyll and Bute Council Election Office
Telephone: 01546 603264
Your personal data
The election office provide a number of services to a range of people and in some cases they rely on us collecting and using information about individuals. Everything we do with that information has to comply with data protection legislation. Below follows information on our data protection practices through a series of privacy notices relevant to a number of parties. These notices are used to inform you of details about the type of information we collect, why we collect it, what we use if for, who we share it with and what rights you have about the information we hold about you.
- Privacy notice - Elections - candidates and agents
- Privacy notice - Polling Station Contacts
- Privacy notice - Electors
- Privacy notice - Election staff
This fund offers financial assistance to disabled people who are seeking selection or have already been selected to stand in Local Authority and Scottish Parliament Elections, including by-elections. The Fund is administered by Inclusion Scotland and pays for practical support to allow disabled people to fully participate in the electoral process. Further information is available on the Inclusion Scotland website