Advice for Food Businesses

Find out how to register a food business

Register as a Food Business 

If you operate a food business in Argyll and Bute, have recently taken over an existing business or wish to start a new business, it is a legal requirement for you to register with the Environmental Health Service at least 28 days before you intend to open. This registration is free of charge.

Apply for a Food Premises Approval Licence 

If you intend to manufacture, process, produce or handle products of animal origin from your premises and supply these products to other establishments your operations may need to be "approved".

Apply for a Street Cafe Licence

A licence is required to use a portion of a public street, road or place for the sale of food and drink and for the placing of tables, chairs or other temporary furniture outside a restaurant or cafe for patrons to use whilst consuming food and drink.

Food hygiene

The Food Standards Agency provides general advice on starting up a food business including helpful leaflets

If you are starting a business don't forget to register with Environmental Health.