Private Rented Sector

Our Advice for both Landlords and Private Tenants

  • Co-operation and respect in all matters brings results for you both.
  • Use the information here to research your position, be sure of the facts and follow the correct procedures.
  • Don’t let small problems become big issues.  Deal with matters quickly and efficiently.
  • Early contact with Housing Service may provide the advice and assistance you need to prevent disputes arising.

Shelter Scotland and Renting Scotland provide a huge information resource for tenants and landlords.

The regulation of the private rented sector is a shared responsibility between the Housing and Property Chamber - First-tier Tribunal for Scotland (formerly Private Rented Housing Panel) and the Council.

Argyll and Bute Council is running a programme of random sample surveys in the private rented sector to identify houses failing the standard and to work with landlords to make improvements.

Private tenants wishing to make a direct complaint about the standard of their accommodation should follow the advice and procedures of the Housing and Property Chamber - First-tier Tribunal for Scotland. Failure to deal with repair issues may affect your registration as a Private Landlord.

Letting Houses to Argyll and Bute Council >

From time to time  the Local Authority will lease properties to meet the temporary housing needs of people throughout Argyll and Bute. 

Private Landlord Registration >

Most private landlords are required to be registered with the local authority prior to entering into negotiations with prospective tenants. You can check whether a landlord or property is registered at or contact the Private Landlord Registration Team.

PRIVATE LETTING - Things for tenants to think about >

The greater the time and care you take choosing your prospective home and landlord, the more likely you will enjoy your tenancy.

PRIVATE LETTING - Things for landlords to think about >

Being a landlord is a professional business. Find out more about your responsibilities.

Dealing with Disrepair >

Disrepair is often the cause of the breakdown in the landlord/tenant relationship leading to disputes on who did what, who is responsible for what and what should be done about it.  Disputes benefit nobody.

Adaptations for disabled people >

Tenants or landlords can apply for grant assistance for disabled adaptations assessed as priority need. 

Financial Advice >

Find out more about rental guidance, the Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme, Local Housing Allowance and insurance advice.

Management Standards >

The Scottish Government website has information and advice for tenants and landlords covering the management standards to be kept by both parties. 

Landlord Accreditation >

Voluntary membership allows landlords and letting agents to show they are striving to meet the highest management standards in the private letting industry. 

Energy Performance Certificates >

From January 2009 all houses in Scotland available to rent must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

Tenancy Deposit Schemes

From 2 July 2012, landlords should start to place all tenant's deposits with an approved, independent third party to protect deposits until they are due to be repaid. Three schemes are now operating:

The legal duties on landlords who receive a tenancy deposit are:

  • to pay deposits to an approved tenancy deposit scheme within 30 days of the tenancy commencing/renewing
  • to provide the tenant with key information about the tenancy and deposit

Failure to place a deposit or provide the required information to a tenant may mean that the tenant can claim up to three times the deposit back from the landlord.

Further information can be found on the Scottish Government’s Safeguarding Tenancy Deposits website including frequently asked questions for landlords and letting agents as well as tenants.