Working for Argyll and Bute Council
A rewarding career where your skills and your contribution really count – that’s what’s on offer with us.
We are an award winning council. Together we deliver services that support every aspect of the lives of our communities. We need a wide range of professions, experience and skills to do that.
We are committed to being a supportive employer, offering a range of career paths, at whatever stage you are in your career.
Classroom assistant, accountant, lawyer, planner, social worker, teacher, surveyor, administrator, driver, environmental health officer – these are just some of the professions who find rewarding careers with us.
Argyll and Bute lifestyle
Our geography gives us a great lifestyle here in Argyll and Bute – stunning scenery, outdoors adventure and with the city-life of Scotland’s central belt close by if you want it.
From Bute to Tiree, and from Helensburgh to Campbeltown or Oban, if asked to sum Argyll and Bute up in three words, we’d say beautiful, successful and welcoming! #abplace2b
We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging
We value our employees, and, in addition to beneficial terms and conditions, we work to support them in different ways, for example:
- Our Employee Benefits Scheme offers a range of benefits and savings designed to help your physical, financial and mental wellbeing. For example, savings on bikes, travel and leisure and gym memberships.
- Learning and Development – we provide opportunities for ongoing development ranging from internal training courses to externally provided professional qualifications. Employees who have completed a qualification are acknowledged at the council’s annual Learning Awards Ceremony.
- Growing our own is all about providing opportunities for young people, but it’s also about investing in our own current workforce to develop their skills and create opportunities. Find out more about the "Growing Our Own" scheme
Job opportunities with our partners
Argyll and Bute Council works closely with other public sector organisations across the area. As part of our commitment to encouraging talented people to live and work in Argyll and Bute, we want to make sure that all job opportunities are easily found. Please see below links to the jobs currently available with our partners.
- NHS Highland
- Police Scotland
- Scottish Fire and Rescue Service
- Scottish Ambulance Service
- Argyll College UHI
- Scottish Natural Heritage
- Scottish Enterprise
- Highlands and Islands Enterprise
- Skills Development Scotland
- The Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS)
- Social Security Scotland
- Scottish Government
Moving to Argyll and Bute
Thinking about relocating to Argyll and Bute, Home Argyll can provide you with Home Advice making it easy for you to find housing within Argyll and Bute.
Application packs for supply posts in our schools
If you are appling for supply teaching, non-teaching or janitorial posts in our schools, you can find the application packs and documentation here: