Make a Planning Application

Please Note: Changes to the fee regulations in respect of Major Applications came into effect on 1st June 2017.

Make a planning application online    Get planning permission advice

Argyll and Bute Council actively encourage online submission of Planning applications via the Scottish Government ePlanning Portal. You can find guidance on using the ePlanning Portal in the ePlanning User Guide

Alternatively, paper application forms can be downloaded by using the links below.  We recognise that with some large applications it may be necessary to provide supporting documentation on CD/DVD - individual file sizes must not exceed 5Mb.  Advice on file types acceptable to Argyll and Bute Council, and electronic file sizes can be found in our Notes for Guidance

Please submit your completed paper application to:

Central Validation Team,
Planning and Regulatory Services,
1A Manse Brae,
PA31 8RD

Applications will only be considered received by the Council for validation purposes when it is acknowledged by the Validation Team.

If you are unsure about what should be submitted with your planning application please read our Notes for Guidance or contact our  for advice.

When a planning application is made the applicant's name and the site address are made available online to the public. Personal phone numbers, email addresses and signatures will not be displayed (as stated by the Data Protection Act 1998).

To find out how much it will cost for your application, please see the Planning Fees Guidance.
To find out if your application will need to be advertised in the press please refer to our Publicity Guidance Note.

NOTE: Before any building works can begin you should make sure that you have consulted with our Building Standards Team. In most instances it is likely that Building Warrant approval will also be required.

Pre-Application Stage

DescriptionApply OnlineDownload Application FormGuidance (if applicable)
Pre-Application Advice -  an informal advice service on a variety of planning topics including planning permission, advertisement consent, listed building or conservation area consent, certificates of lawfulness, etc.Pre-application guidance - enquire onlinen/aPre-Application Guidance
Pre-application Consultation (PAC) - to commence the PAC process for 'national' or 'major' developments 

Pre-Application Consultation Screening Notice and Proposal of Application notice

Summary of Key Issues, Process Pack for prospective applicants, and template notice for publication in a newspaper

Application Stage

Planning permission
DescriptionApply OnlineDownload Application FormGuidance (if applicable)
Householder Planning Permission - for alterations or extensions to existing domestic dwellings (houses and flats) or for certain developments within the garden ground (curtilage) of these property typesHouseholder planning permission - Apply onlineHouseholder Application Forms PackHouseholder Application Guidance
Planning Permission - when applying for most types of development e.g. new dwellings, alterations and extensions to commercial premises, changes of use and renewable energy productionPlanning permission - apply onlinePlanning Permission Forms PackPlanning Permission Guidance Notes
Planning Permission in Principle - to establish the acceptability of the principle of a proposal and does not in itself give permission for any development to take place (formerly know as outline Planning Permission)Planning permission in principle - apply online  
Approval of Matters Specified in a Condition - for approval of conditions relative to an application for planning permission in principle to enable development to proceed Approval of matters specified - apply onlineApplication for Approval of Matters Specified in a ConditionIncluded in Application Form
Planning consents
DescriptionApply OnlineDownload Application FormGuidance (if applicable)
Listed Building Consent - required separately and in addition to planning permission and householder planning permission; for proposals to alter, extend or demolish a Listed BuildingListed building consent - apply onlineListed Building Consent Forms PackListed Building Consent Guidance
Conservation Area Consent - for the total or sustantial demolition of buildings or structures within a Conservation AreaConservation area consent - apply onlineConservation Area Consent Forms PackConservation Area Consent Guidance
Tree Preservation Orders - for consent to fell or lop tree(s) subject to a Tree Preservation Order or within a Conservation AreaTree preservation orders - apply onlineTree Works FormTree Works Guidance
Advertisement Consent - application for consent to display an advertisement e.g. shopfront signage or advance roadside signsAdvertisement consent - apply onlineAdvertisement Consent FormAdvertisement Consent Guidance Notes
Hazardous Substances Consent Hazardous Substances ConsentIncluded in Application Form
Other types of planning applications
DescriptionApply OnlineDownload Application FormGuidance (if applicable)
Prior Notification - where prior notification is required for farm/ forestry developments, Domestic Energy (free-standing micro-wind turbines and air-source heat pumps) and demolitions not within Conservation AreasPrior notification - apply onlinePrior Notification FormPrior Notification Guidance
Marine Fish Farms - for development of marine fish farms Marine Fish Farm Application Form Included in Application Form
Fish Farm Prior Notification - Freshwater and Marine Aquaculture Prior Notification FormFreshwater and Marine Aquaculture Guidance
Certificate of Lawfulness (Existing) - to gain formal consent for unauthorised developments which may now be outwith enforceable timescales and this can be provedCertificate of lawfulness (existing) - apply onlineCertificate of Lawfulness - Existing Use FormCertificate of Lawfulness - Existing Use Guidance
Certificate of Lawfulness (Proposed) - to gain formal confirmation that a proposed development does not require the benefit of full planning permissionCertificate of lawfulness (proposed) - apply onlineCertificate of Lawfulness - Proposed Use FormCertificate of Lawfulness - Proposed Use Guidance
Mineral Works - for permission to extract mineralsMineral works - apply onlineApplication for Mineral WorksIncluded in Application Form
Section 50 License - If you are applying for a premises license or provisional premises license then you will need a Planning Section 50 Certificate. Section 50 Licensing ApplicationIncluded in Application Form
Modification or discharge of planning obligations - use this form if you have obtained consent subject to a legal agreement  (Section 75) but now wish to amend the terms or discharge it altogetherModification or Discharge of Planning ObligationsModification or Discharge of Planning Obligations




High Hedge NoticeHigh Hedges Notice 

Guidance on High Hedges

More information on High Hedges at Citizens Advice

Post-Application Stage

DescriptionApply OnlineDownload Application FormGuidance (if applicable)
Notification of Initiation of Development Notification of Initiation 
Notification of Completion of Development Notification of Completion