Domestic abuse

Domestic Abuse laws in force

Everyone has the right to live free from abuse and violence. If you or someone you know is suffering, the information and contacts below will point you towards getting the help and support you need.

Women's Aid | Social Work | Rape Crisis | Housing and Homelessness | Police 

  Health and Medical Services | Homestart | Adult Protection | Child Protection

Argyll and Bute Violence against Women Partnership

All women, children and young people have within Argyll and Bute have the right to live free from gender based violence.  The Argyll and Bute Violence against Women Partnership is committed to ensuring support is provided.  The information here aims to provide information to those who have suffered, or witnessed, domestic abuse.

Women’s Aid

Women’s Aid is a free confidential service which offers information, support and, if needed, a safe place to stay for women, children and young people who have or are experiencing domestic abuse and other forms of violence against women.

Argyll & Bute Women’s Aid (all areas): 01369 706636


Website -

 Make a Stand

Social Work

Social Work can offer you unbiased, sympathetic, practical and emotional support in a safe and confidential setting. 

Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm: 01546 605517

Emergency Out of Hours Service: 01631 566491 or 01631 569712

Council Text for all departments: 07860 023933


Argyll and Bute Rape Crisis

Argyll and Bute Rape Crisis offers specialist support and advocacy services to survivors of all forms of sexual trauma, including, but not limited to, rape, sexual assault and childhood sexual abuse whether the abuse is recent or historic. This free and confidential support is available to survivors regardless of ethnicity or gender identity, so long as they are aged 12 years or over.

 The service is also available to non-offending family members as we are aware of the impact sexual trauma can have on them.


 Helpline: 0800 121 4685




Argyll and Bute Homeless Service can help with emergency accommodation, permanent housing, advice on the legal rights of spouses and co-habitees, and referral to support agencies.  

Campbeltown: 01586 559054

Dunoon: 01369 708535

Helensburgh: 01436 658806

Lochgilphead: 01586 559054

Oban: 01631 567926

Rothesay: 01700 501332

Emergency Out of Hours:  0345 0565457

Council Text for all departments: 07860 023933




Police Scotland have a website and you can access this for information and to report offences. Such as Domestic Abuse. 

If you prefer to talk to someone; to contact Police call 101 for non-emergencies and 999 in an emergency.  If you wish to be put through to a local Police Station you should ring 01786 289070.

Your Local Police Stations are as follows:

Campbeltown Police Station, Hazelbank Business Park, Campbeltown PA28 6AS

Clydebank Police Station (also for Helensburgh); 50 Montrose Street, Clydebank, G81 2QD

Dunoon Police Station, 1-3 Argyll Road, Dunoon PA23 8ES

Oban Police Station, Albany Street, Oban PA34 4AJ

Rothesay Police Station, 58 High Street, Rothesay, Isle of Bute PA20 9AZ.



Minor Injuries and Accident & Emergency services are provided 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week in the following hospitals:

Campbeltown Hospital: 01586 552224

Dunoon General Hospital: 01369 704341

Islay Hospital: 01496 301010

Oban General Hospital: 01631 788912

Dunaros Hospital (Mull): 01680 300392

Victoria Hospital (Bute): 01700 501536

Mid Argyll Hospital: 01546 703000

NHS 24:  08454 24 24 24



Home-Start provides support to families with at least one child under 5 years of age in Oban, Kintyre, Mid Argyll, Jura, Islay, and Cowal and Bute. 

Home-Start MAJIK

01369 702418

07435 595 054

Home-Start Lorn

01631 566749